Monday, April 8, 2013

Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone

It's good to get out of our comfort zones every now and then.  They're not easy but they are wonderful experiences that give us opportunities to learn about ourselves as well as the world around us.  I recently got out of my comfort zone and went to Bike Week 2013 with my husband. 

Shiny
 
I knew there would be a lot of people in Daytona Beach but I didn't realize how many.  The streets were packed and you were actually touching other people as you made your way up and down Main Street.  It was a melting pot in terms of people of different races, ethnicities and ages.  I passed a family (don't ask me why they were in Daytona during Bike Week) and the young boy yelled at his parents, "Just get me out of here.  I don't like this" while he cupped his hands over his ears.  I think this poor child has been scarred for life.  At one point, I ran into an orange traffic cone but I didn't see it until I was standing right on top of it, knocking it over with my sun dress.

That's the other thing I was really aware of:  I was the only woman among thousands of others who was wasn't wearing jeans or a mini-skirt and a sexy shirt.  My husband and I had decided to take a drive that afternoon.  We weren't planning on going to Bike Week so I didn't dress appropriately.  I showed up wearing a flowery sun dress, a purple cardigan and flip flops.  I was very out of place.  I felt uncomfortable and I really embraced this feeling.  It was good for me to feel out of place as it allowed me to be extra cognizant of myself among others who seemed so different than me.  You can learn a lot about yourself when you are the one who doesn't fit in.   

Even though my first Bike Week experience was completely surreal, I'm glad that I got out of my comfort zone.  There's a sort of adrenaline rush that comes with this type experience.  You become very sensitive of your surroundings and it's almost as if all of your senses are synchronizing with one another.  It's very. . . liberating. 

Have you ever gotten out of your comfort zone? 

*I'm participating in the 2013 A to Z Challenge. Every day in April (except for Sundays) I will be posting according to a letter of the Alphabet. To read more about my theme, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Funny about the sundress. I love riding motorcycles. I don't like the squished hair that won't bounce back like I command it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been on a motorcycle before. I did ride on a scooter. Does that count?

      Delete
  2. I've gotten out of my comfort zone a few times-- volunteering at camp, especially to work with mentally disabled people. Visiting friends in Hong Kong as a fourteen-year-old who had never left the midwest. Spending five months teaching English in Indonesia with my grandparents. (That one was a giant LEAP out of my comfort zone!)

    I think God uses experiences like that to stretch us, and to teach us more about ourselves and the world in which we live.

    Also, I'm not much into motorcycles--what a great wife you are to go to an event like that! :)

    Jaimie
    Living in the Light
    A to Z Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indonesia? Wow. I've never really traveled out of the U.S. I've been to Mexico twice & Canada once. I think that I'm afraid to. I really admire your experiences. I agree that moments like this are full of life lessons.

      Delete
  3. A great post and reminder to push ourselves a little bit. Often we are scared to do the things we want to do, because, as you say, it's outside of our comfort zone. I'm glad you enjoyed the biking day. I would like to hope I would have gotten over that uncomfortable feeling of being out of place, but I'm not sure.

    Stopping by from the A to Z. Have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that toward the end I did. I didn't write about the wet t-shirt contest at one of the bars. That was the ultimate where-the-heck-am-I experience:) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. They say life begins at the end of your comfort zone! Pushing ourselves is always a good thing, whether its to try something new or reaffirm our stance. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy A to Zing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. Pushing ourselves is a part of self-growth and we learn so much about ourselves.

      Delete