Saturday, April 6, 2013

Florida Beauty

I absolutely love living in Florida.  When I told my colleagues in San Diego that I was moving back to Florida, no one could understand why.  There is a tranquility here that is not easy to put into words.

Fort Matanzas

It is not uncommon to drive along A1A and see dolphins swimming parallel to the highway.  I've canoed creeks that were so isolated, the only sounds you can hear are birds and the inhalation and exhalation of your own breath.  You can always find a place that is quiet and without people.  It is easy to spend hours and hours swimming in the ocean during the summer.  You sort of lose yourself in the salt water, sand and sun.

I also love that you can walk from the beach to a laid-back bar and order a beer.  Maybe some fried okra and steamed oysters, too.  You can live most of your life in flip flops.  I love the southern charm and local eateries where employees know the names of their customers.  I am grateful that I can look out every window and see palm trees and also hear the ocean from every room of my condo. 

It is quiet here - quiet in the sense that people still enjoy living, relaxing and savoring their surroundings.  People who live quiet lives and appreciate the simple things.  People who are just as excited to walk on the beach or ride a rollar coaster at Universal Studios or hike through a national forest.  I'm so thankful for my travels and for living in other areas of the country and it is because of those experiences that I discovered I am a true Florida Girl.  I belong here and this is my home.

*I'm participating in the 2013 A to Z Challenge. Every day in April (except for Sundays) I will be posting according to a letter of the Alphabet. To read more about my theme, click here.

14 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed looking through your A-Z challenge posts. Thank you for sharing. Now I want to go to Florida. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie. Spring is an awesome time to visit:)

      Delete
  2. I've only been to Florida once, but I loved it. It was absolutely beautiful.

    Have a happy weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Florida certainly has that laid back, flip-flop appeal...Now if only I could do something about the heat and humidity!! I love sitting on the walls of the fort watching the dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've visited Florida (Orlando) once. It was a fantastic trip and I enjoyed the culture and the weather. My parents have been to Fort Lauderdale for two anniversary trips and loved it! :)

    Jaimie
    Living in the Light
    A to Z Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely biased about the coast - this is my favorite part of Florida.

      Delete
  5. Jaimie,

    It is interesting to me that, coincidentally, a fair percentage of photographers whose photos I am featuring in my A to Z are from Florida. I have only been there once, to the airport in Miami, so I can't say that I've seen Florida. The coastlines must be incredible. :-) Lots of photo subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably because Floridians rock:) Miami isn't my favorite place in Florida. If you've never been to the keys, you've got to go - the water is amazing.

      Delete
  6. If a picture tells a thousand words, the shot above most certainly describes your love for Florida. Very nice. I've been to Floria once, a long time ago, and loved it.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Floria. I love trying new places though. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photo of Florida! It has been a while since I have been down there. I am envious of the warm weather...

    www.wearinglemon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me. I don't take our weather for granted. I get cold when it drops below 60 degrees:)

      Delete