Thursday, April 19, 2012

Recycled Post

I am determined to complete the A to Z Challenge. Life has gotten in the way for my Q, R and S posts, though. So, I'm writing very brief ones and even recycling an old post from February of 2010.

This is one of my favorite posts. I remember sitting on my sofa and feeling like I just had to write. In that moment, I embraced creativity and began writing again.

Cheeseburgers & Cabernet

When you have one of those crazy days – the kind that makes your head spin – there isn’t anything as wonderful as coming home, taking your heels off, putting on pajama pants, and eating a comforting meal. If you haven’t tried pairing a cheeseburger and a glass (or two) of Cabernet after one of these days, you don’t know what you are missing. It doesn’t even have to be a gourmet, homemade burger. An In & Out double double will work just fine.

While I was meticulously balancing my bites of burger with sips of wine, I began thinking about simple pleasures. At that moment, my cheeseburger and Cabernet made me completely content, even happy. The mind-boggling day that I had began fading away, like a dream that you can't remember. I was amazed that the body and mind could be nourished by such simple things as burgers and wine. Aren’t simple pleasures the most wonderful gifts in the world? Here are some of my favorites:

Kissing my dog's ears, walking barefoot in the grass, taking my bra off after a long day, eating pistachios, my feather pillow, feeling my husband’s mustache tickle my nose when he kisses me, taking photos, grilling veggies, listening to Sarah McLachlan, wearing flip flops, fresh basil, breathing into my baby blanket, spooning, drinking margaritas, camping, and sitting in the sun.

What are your simple pleasures?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post. my simple pleasure is feeding the birds and squirrels in the garden also walking along the beach.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My simple pleasure is curling up on the couch with a book and a cup of coffee or tea while listening to the rain. (But I haven't done this since I had kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh basil, flip flops, grilled veggies and Sarah McLachan! Maybe it's a Florida thing. :-) Great idea to post ahead and then enjoy your time away. A week in the woods sounds lovely. See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, taking of my bra at the end of the day is a little piece of heaven. That, and wearing flip flops year round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea, reading books I've read so often they're coming apart at the spine, chocolate chip pancakes, watching streetlights flicker on at night when it's snowing, the chime of the churchbells near my house. Oh, and being inside when it's raining outside. Mmmmmm.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh basil- I sneak a leaf to eat every time I pass the plant! :-)

    ReplyDelete