Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Old Dog

I love my old dog. His name is Floyd and he's been a part of our family for almost 15 years. I've always had pets growing up but Floyd is my first as an adult. I just can't imagine my life without him. However, I know that he won't live forever and, when he turns 15 in August, I can't ignore the fact that he is getting older and older. The only thing that brings both my husband and I any peace about this is knowing that Floyd has lived a good life. He has traveled across the country, been camping many times, eats well, plays a lot, sleeps with us and has even stayed in luxurious hotels.

I've learned many things about life through Floyd. My old dog has taught me how to be patient, how to enjoy the small things, that family is the most important thing on earth and to not worry. When I practice yoga and am on all fours, Floyd will walk over to me to lay his head on mine and walk underneath me for snuggles. He reminds me to appreciate my loved ones and to be intentional when spending time with them.

Floyd is really scruffy. We've never had him groomed - he's just not that kind of dog. One of my favorite memories is seeing him walk into the Marriott Le Merigot in Santa Monica on a red carpeted walkway. The doorman was wearing a long-tailed tuxedo and top hat. He held the door for old scruffy Floyd who walked into the hotel like he owned the place. In the elevator, a man gave us a snobby look and asked, "They accept pets at this hotel?" and we just replied, "Yup." Floyd and I share the philosophy that if you're going to stay in a hotel, make it a really nice one.

Old dogs are old souls and Floyd is no exception.

Floyd Loves the Beach


Taking In the Sights


Floyd in the Woods


Floyd Camping at Big Basin State Park



Floyd Playing with His Favorite Toy

Today's prayer: God, thank you so much for bringing Floyd into our lives. He's awesome. Please keep him happy and content for the rest of his life. Let others feel compassion and rescue pets who are in need of loving and safe families. Amen.

8 comments:

  1. Dogs are so responsive and loyal. It is hard when it is time for them to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I love this post. We got our first dog a couple of years ago. Up until that time I had always been anti-dog . . . REALLY anti-dog. Then we got Izzy. And I was instantly in love with her and soon in love with ALL dogs. Such unconditional love I have never felt. She's three and I look forward to a long and happy life with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your beautiful post. I see how much you love Floyd. We have travelled a lot with our dogs (shelties) and stayed in nice hotels. We flew to Nahanni (Yukon) in a float plane with them; they each had their own seat with the rest of us passengers. My goal was to ensure they had the best of everything, that they had opportunities every day to be all that they could be - not just a pampered pup on the couch. On their final day, we ensured it was in our home, held in our arms, peaceful. You are so right about them being our teachers. What an incredible gift to have in our life. Feather

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first ever poem was about my dog Sheba who died.

    I loved your post and reconised The Golden Gate Bridge that I visited whilst in the US,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Floyd is beautiful. Our dogs are a huge part of our family too. One of our daughters has schizophrenia and our dog is her friend.
    Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspriation (about #777 on the A to Z list).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Floyd to be so loved. How sweet that he comes to you when you are doing Yoga. He thinks you're on the floor for him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, Amen to that prayer. I love love Floyd. He's soulful for sure.

    My favorite A-Z post yet, I think. :)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. Floyd is very handsome, and he looks like quite a charmer.

    Ellie, who has 3 blogs in the challenge
    Ellie's Blank Book
    Ellie's Couch
    Help Michigan Pets

    ReplyDelete