Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dreaming of a Simple Life


Last Sunday, my husband & I went to the San Diego Boat Show for a variety of reasons: to play, to get out of the house, to see what kind of boat we’d like to buy when we have money, and to dream of living a simpler life. I left the boat show with that Christmas-morning type of excitement. I felt rejuvenated and I dreamt all night long of our future boat. At first, I felt adventurous. We’ve talked about living on a boat – enjoying the freedom and the fresh ocean air. I pictured myself sitting out in the sun, wind blowing my hair, drinking a margarita. My dreams soon turned to panic. The more I thought about living on a boat, the more anxious I felt. What are we thinking? We don’t even own a house. Is our first home together going to float? How are we going to raise a child on a boat? What will people think?

During the course of a long and vividly dreamy night I realized that I don’t care what people think. I don’t want to succumb to what society tries forcing down our throats – that the things that matter consist of owning a home, having a yard, pictures to hang on the walls, and lots of things to store in closets and garages. I realized that the things that matter to me are being with my family, laughing, fostering creativity, enjoying nature and feeling free. Living on a boat would be a different life. It would be a simple life. 

When we saw it, we both knew it was meant for us. The 34-foot Gemini 105Mc catamaran was whispering our names. The brochure is now hanging on our refrigerator and the dream has become a vision. I envisioned myself living in California and pursuing graduate work. I am now only two units away from graduating with a master’s degree in Leadership Studies. I envisioned my husband leaving the construction industry and finding a new career. He is now an upcoming (and extremely hilarious) comedian. I am envisioning our life together on the water just as vibrantly. I’ve learned that we have the power within us to make anything happen. Anything is possible – as long as we have the courage to take risks.

I don’t know how it will happen and I don’t know the details. However, I am certain that we were meant to live on a boat. Just as certain that my husband is my soul mate and we are destined to live a simple life.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! We've been to the Newport RI Boat Show two years in a row to foster our dreams of living on a boat.

    You're right, anything is possible. Keep that brochure hanging there and you will get it.

    ReplyDelete